So starting today, I’m doing a month-long better eating challenge.
I’ve done this in the past and I always feel amazing. But I’ve never done it for a month and blogged about it; I’m hoping it’ll help me accountable.
So let me start by explain what I mean by "better eating".
- As little sugar as possible. No sweet tea, chocolate bars, or Starburst Freezes from Taco Bell.
- Lots of complex carbs (which, despite what society says, are actually essential to your health), unsaturated fats, and a little bit of protein.
- All meals I cook and prepare myself – no fast food! This is the most important one.
- Veggies and Fruits at least once a day (I’m not a big fan.)
- Wine or beer on the weekends, but not on week nights. I’m not that old, but wine before bed makes getting up a pain.
One thing I’ve learned about preparing meals in advance is if you make seven meals of exactly the same thing, after the third one, you won’t want to eat it anymore. So I try to make two or three different things I can pick between.
Here are my meals this week:
- Bagel with egg, ham or bacon, cheese, and chopped peppers
- Avocado toast
Lunch (packed in bento boxes for the week)
- Apple and PB, sliced cheese, strips of grapes, scoop of tuna, crackers,
- PB and Fruit Mash sandwich (Jelly is too sweet, so mashed up strawberries are a great substitute)
Dinner (make ahead)
- Chicken Nuggets
- Chimichangas with chicken, beans, rice, and cheese wrapped up tight, topped with lettuce and tomato, sour cream, and salsa
And of course, scattered throughout the day when I get peckish (because I always get peckish) are my wonderful Graze snacks. I have them delivered every Tuesday afternoon and it gives me healthy options to munch on. (If you sign up for Graze through my link, you’ll get your first and fifth box free, and I get $1 off my already-affordable snacking habit! Trust me, it’s worth it. I signed up for the free box planning to cancel after, but totally stuck with it because it’s AWESOME.)
Lastly, I’m going to get back into the habit of going to the gym over my lunch break. I have an hour lunch break and my local Planet Fitness is 3 minutes away. I get a 40 minute power-workout in and can shower and get back to the office in less than an hour. (and since I snack my way through my work day, it keeps my blood sugar level steady).
You can follow my progress and my meals on Instagram, just search #BetterEatingChallenge
What are your meal goals for the week?